Search This Blog

Friday, March 4, 2011

Nursery Decorating...

Well I think it's 99% official, the nursery is ready for our little girl to arrive.  With my strong nesting urges these days I can't guarantee I won't move something around or reorganize something in the closet, but for the moment I'm pleased with the results.

We received these butterflies to hang instead of a mobile at our baby sprinkle last weekend.  I'd mentioned before, we received this soother and an adorable stuffed turtle, whose colors fit everything perfectly.  I wanted a better way to set up the baby monitor since we just propped it up between the crib and the wall with our son.  This could have been a huge safety hazard, so I suppose we're lucky nothing ever happened.  The cord is still probably not in it's final resting spot, but at least we can thread it away from the crib itself.  I can also put some small light-weight decorations on the shelf in the future.  Nothing heavy should be placed up there.  There were a few cute items at our baby sprinkle that I should be receiving soon that might work.
Both our son's crib and the new crib are set up in the same fashion when it comes to bedding.  I read somewhere that it's a good idea to put two layers of waterproofing on the mattress.  This way, if there is an accident in the middle of the night, you can strip off one layer of sheet/mattress cover and deal with remaking the bed at a more convenient hour.  So, both cribs have a fitted mattress pad with a fitted sheet, then a mattress cover that's just a lay down rectangle with a jersey knit sheet on top.  I like the feel of the softer sheet, and smaller pad is easier to remove in case it needs to be removed quickly.  I purchased this Gerber knit sheet because I liked the hearts, but I must agree with the reviewers on the Babies R Us website.  The elastic on the sheet is too small and is much too tight of a fit.  It won't be removed easily, so I have it on there for looks I guess, until our first leak or spit-up on it.  After that point I have a couple plain white ones that will work just fine.  I opted to go without the mesh breathable bumper this time around.  Our son slept best swaddled up as tight as possible, so he barely moved during the night.  We'll assume our baby girl will be the same, but you never know! One thing I really like about this crib is it has a drawer underneath.  It can't hold a lot, but it's perfect because it has two sections.  One side I put my spare changing pad covers and the other side I put the swaddling blankets.

The changing table is the same one from our son's room.  I'm not one who cares a lot about my furniture coordinating (as you can probably tell).  The baskets underneath are the same too.  In each of the four baskets I currently have baby socks and burp cloths on the top shelf, shoes/booties and hats on the bottom shelf.  Next to the changing table is a repurposed night stand.  The basket on the bottom is filled with cloth diapers, although these will have to wait a while before being used.  We are being given 3-6 months of diaper service as a baby gift, and those are always prefolds.  Those will go on the top shelf of the changing table.  In the drawer of the nightstand are the covers.  My mom actually gave me my old nightlight from when I was a kid.  It's this adorable mushroom with a butterfly theme painted on it.  Lastly, I got myself an Itzbeen timer.  I was looking for a small clock to put on the nightstand to keep track of feeding times at night, and I came across this timer.  I look forward to reviewing it once I can put it in use, but essentially it helps you keep track of changes, sleeping periods, and time between feedings.  There is also a switch at the bottom that helps you keep track of what side you started your last breastfeeding session on.  With our son I had a hand written journal type, so this seems much more convenient.  The rocking chair is a family heirloom that again we moved from our son's room when we stopped rocking him to sleep before bed.  The finishing touches are a lavender baby blanket with butterfly detail, and some wall art we already had lying around that were the right color scheme.

As for closet organization (of course the most exciting part of the nursery I'm sure), I got a cheap pop-out hamper and this cool closet extender.  I couldn't believe that with a second child, and only small opportunities to receive gifts, we had entirely filled the closet rung to capacity.  Thank goodness baby clothes are short!  But, from experience with how many clothes my son accumulated, I knew this was going to be a problem.  The extender practically doubled the hanging space!  In addition, I had ordered this hanging shelf in lavender a while back since there is no room for an actual dresser in the nursery.  I hang most everything as a result, except these shelves allow me to store all my onesies and plain Gerber t-shirts.  I also needed two shelves for bloomers of all things.  All these adorable dresses and skirts require some sort of diaper covering, something I didn't realize I'd need since I was having a girl, but now I appreciate.  The top shelf of the closet is rather deep, and I can stack two plastic storage containers high inside.  I've got two full of infant toys, and one with larger hand-me-down items that just don't fit in the hanging space quite yet.  I also have my pump and my carriers up there.

The final detail I must mention is the beautiful quilt hanging on the side of the crib.  This was handmade by my mother in-law.  Her craftsmanship is something to be envied for sure.  She let me pick the fabrics and the pattern which meant I got exactly what I wanted.  It was her first time doing applique, but you'd never know it.  Enjoy these pics of the masterpiece, as well as the rest of the room!


No comments:

Post a Comment