Search This Blog

Friday, June 10, 2011

Nursing Pads

Here is my review for nursing pads based on a fairly limited product base.  I'd like to say I've tried a variety of brands and makes, but that's not true.  However, I did zero in on my recommendation rather quickly.

With my son I was given reusable pads.  I don't honestly even know what they are made out of.  Sometimes I would remember to put them in when I'd get dressed in the morning, many times I would not. I'd be reminded as I leaked through a shirt while I was away from the house.  I definitely didn't wear them at night.  Once my kids slept mostly through the night there was no way they were absorbent enough to handle that situation.  I would take a burp cloth, fold it up, and stuff it in my bra at night.  Even that wouldn't be enough sometimes.  But with the first child I never imagined there was an alternative.  I just figured nursing pads sucked!

Until one day I saw a box of disposable nursing pads at my sister's house.  She had the Medela brand pads.    Before purchasing a box of my own I went on Amazon and checked the reviews of other brands.  In fact, Lanisoh nursing pads were the highest rated so I got a 60 pack.  To be fair I borrowed 6 of the Medela pads from my sister and gave her a few of mine to get a comparison.

Lanisoh outperformed the Medela pads in my opinion.  Both disposable pad brands outperformed the reusable ones (obviously)...  I use cotton diapers and made homemade wipes but when it comes to nursing pads I'm sorry, I must support the disposable variety.  They hold a significant amount of liquid.  Rather than sleeping with a bulky bra, I can rest easy when I have pads in.  The Lanisoh pads just have a slightly higher quality look and feel.  They have two spots where you remove a liner paper and expose the adhesive to attach to the inside of your bra cup.  The Medela pads only have one spot.  When nursing, you're constantly pushing down the pull down section of your bra and the pad can easily bunch and dislodge.  This happens less often with the Lanisoh pads.  They really stay put.

Price is relatively competitive, at least on Amazon.  My sister did say she saw the Lanisoh brand pads for a cheaper price at Target the other day.  Do your homework if price is an issue.  However, 60 pads will cost about $12 so about 20 cents a pad seemed worth it to me.

Happy nursing!

No comments:

Post a Comment