Search This Blog

Thursday, June 23, 2011

When Cloth Won't Do...

I am a die hard cloth diaper fan.  But there are a few instances when I rely on a disposable diaper instead.  With two in diapers, and one who I was extremely interested in having sleep through the night without disturbance, I've been using more and more disposables lately.

Our son was having a reaction to our cloth diapers at night.  The prefolds we use are over a year old, and while we follow proper washing and rinsing instructions there is build-up that cannot be denied.  This was causing an ammonia reaction which was irritating our son's skin.  This only happened when a diaper was on him for an extended period of time, like overnight.  If I have absolutely no choice and have to run to the grocery store for diapers I admit I choose Huggies.  I prefer them far over Huggies or even the generic brands like Mom to Mom.  But, I do have a choice if I can think ahead.

I found a compostable brand that works very well.  I use GroVia Biodiapers.  I use them at night on both babies as I want to avoid any reason for our three month old to wake up in the middle of the night.  These diapers are available at a local retail store, the same store where I have our diaper service from.  But, you can also find them on Amazon.  I can get the size 2 diapers for our daughter on Amazon, but our son really needs size 4.  I was able to find them on Diapers.com for a decent price as well.

The absorbency of these diapers rivals the big brands.  They just don't have the additives, so odor isn't masked quite as well, but the kids feel dry.  My only other criticism is that they seem to be designed for children on the thin side.  The waistband is a little bit tight on our two and a half year old, which is the only reason he's in size 4.  Weight wise he would technically be able to fit in size 3 but they seem a little too snug in the waist.

We do not have the skin reactions we used to and our daughter sleeps soundly at night.  I also use these diapers when we are going out somewhere where diaper changes aren't going to be very convenient.  We are planning to go to Hawaii next month and will use solely GroVia.

No comments:

Post a Comment