Search This Blog

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Favorite Breastfeeding Book

Short but sweet, the book I used the most when our first was born was a gift from my aunt who lives on the central coast.  She gave it to me on day three of our son being with us, and not a day too soon.  The Nursing Mother's Companion is the ultimate resource for the breastfeeding mother.  I learned more from that book than I did in the hospital, and our hospital is well known for having the highest percentage of breastfeeding mothers in the state, and perhaps the nation.  Granted this gave me a good start for support, but I also was determined to have a baby who was EBF (exclusively breast fed).  It was from this book that I really came to understand the feed on demand technique.  It explained how there are specific times in the baby's early development where they will have growth spurts, and that cluster feeding is completely normal.  I also better understood how breastfeeding was really the law of supply and demand and the moment you introduce formula into the mix, you are already on a downhill slope.

I loved this book so much that I sent it to Germany when my friend had her baby.  She successfully breastfed for over a year before weaning her son.  Next the book was forwarded to my sister in law in London, who started her breastfeeding experience being told her milk would never come in.  She is doing fabulously feeding her quickly growing girl born in December.  I've also given this book as gifts, and recommended it to anyone who asks me for breastfeeding advice.  Hence why I'm recommending it to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment