Search This Blog

Friday, May 27, 2011

What They Say...

I'd like to take a moment to debunk a few myths and confirm a few others perhaps.  These all revolve around the differences between my two kids.  I'll jump to the moral first: there is no method to the madness, and you just have to go with what hand you're dealt.  That said, here we go.

Myth #1: Baby #2 is always early
My OB said our daughter broke every rule.  She wasn't early, she was 6 days late.  That's even later than my son, who was only 2 days late.

Myth #2: Baby #2 is always bigger, but girls are smaller
This one I can sort of confirm.  Our daughter was 8 pounds 4 ounces, and while our first was 8 pounds 9 ounces.  That difference in weight is almost unnoticeable honestly.  Neither kid wore newborn sized clothing for more than two weeks.  So many cute things went to waste...

Myth #3: Girls are easier
This one I want to confirm as well.  I remember that our son was sleeping 7 hours at 7 weeks old, so I sort of made that my benchmark.  When you're getting up twice a night to feed during those first couple weeks you want some sort of hope, something to set your sights on to help you get through the tough days.  On day 3 this girl slept a 6 hour stretch.  Yes, it was sort of a fluke, but I swear that night gave us the good start to get us through it all.  Now at just 2 months, she sleeps 9 to 10 hours and I'm not getting up to feed at night anymore.  That early morning feeding happens in bed, while I'm half asleep.  It's awesome.  Plus, I hold her a lot, but far less than I did with our son.  She's super happy to lay in her gym or sit in her bouncy chair.  She LOVES having her diaper changed!

Myth #4: The second child is the opposite of the first
I heard this one the other day because a couple had their second.  Instead they had the girl first and the boy is just 4 months old.  Their daughter was sleeping through the night at 4 months, but now their son can't even fall asleep on his own.  Everyone at this gathering agreed with this concept and I kept my mouth shut.   As I described my experience with Myth #3 my second is more similar to our first.  They look so much alike, but their sleeping habits are both amazing.  They both grow like little bean poles and I love them both more than anything else in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment