Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Crib Decorating...

While we have most of the staples in place for the new baby, the baby's room is not complete from an organizational and design standpoint.  Luckily when we first repainted the bedrooms, I chose a light lavender colored paint for the nursery.  I guess back then I had wishful thinking we were going to have a girl.

Then, we were given a hand-me-down crib from a good friend.  This was a blessing because we're really not ready to move our son out of his crib yet, and this way his life doesn't have to have one extra disruption when the new baby gets here.  The new crib is white, while our son's is wood.  I am so excited to give the new crib its own look without having to spend a fortune.

The set up for our son was pretty simple.  We were given the crib that my husband, his siblings, and his cousins had actually been raised in.  For the age, this crib is in incredible shape.  While the bar spacing is not within the regulated requirements, I wasn't that concerned.  I had read not to use a bumper with an infant, so really I just used sheets that coordinated with the paint (at the time the nursery was a light orange because we did not know the gender of our first born until he arrived) and I used a mesh breathable bumper.  Then, I asked my grandfather to get us a USC horse mobile.  We also had a stuffed bear who contained a little sound box that made womb sounds.  Swaddling worked so well for us, that honestly our son didn't move much when he slept, and I'm sure we could have gotten away without the bumper entirely.  I haven't yet decided if I'm going to use it on the new crib or not.

However, I also wanted to change a few other things up as well.  I chose two themes of bedsheets.  One is a butterfly pattern with pinks and purples.  The other is a purple tulle pattern, which also goes with a green and purple tulle changing pad cover.  Above the crib I am planning to use these hanging butterflies from Land Of Nod instead of a mobile.  Lastly, I registered for a Fisher-Price Ocean Wonders Deep Blue Sea Soother.  Where the mobile we have is great if the baby is awake and just needs entertainment, it's not good for sleeping because the music and movement only last as long as you can keep it wound up.  This soother can play soothing ocean sounds or music for up to 18 minutes!  Maybe this new baby couldn't care less, but I thought it was too cool not to try.

The last detail is I ordered a white small wall shelf to put on the wall near the crib.  With our son, we just propped the baby monitor between the crib and the wall and it sort of sat there precariously.  Looking back if he was more mobile during this time, that could be a real danger with the cord hanging so close to reach. This new little white wall shelf will hold only light items, like the monitor, and maybe a tiny stuffed animal for looks.  My husband says this shelf will be tough to hang, and then won't be able to hold anything heavy.  That's OK though, that's not its purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment