Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Cutting (Steggie Stage 1)...

Yes, I did just buy fabric for diaper accessory projects, but I have another project in line ahead of those that I already had the supplies for.  I must again thank my sister for an awesome Christmas present, One Yard Wonders.  In this amazing book are a ton of great sewing projects, but I decided to start with a pull-along toy named Steggie.  If all goes well, I'm planning to make at least two Steggies for a couple almost-walking kids that I know.  Plus, there's a little bit of wood construction involved in this one so my husband can help me with that step when I get there!

I love trying new things when it comes to sewing, and since my experience is pretty limited, that means there's a lot out there for me to learn!  This will be my first experience with using a real pattern.  I did use a pattern of sorts when I made toddler aprons for Christmas, but that was super simple and barely counts.  This book is great in that it has the patterns in one nice neat envelope in the front of the book.  However, it was a bit of a struggle to get them out of the envelope, figure out which ones I needed, and then to get them back in the book without doing too much damage.  Off the bat I was thinking, uh oh, I'm in trouble if I'm struggling this early!

Finally I got the pattern pieces cut out and pinned onto the fabric.  My first Steggie is going to be this red and brown fabric with a dark blue set of spines and feet.  I did my best to cut close to the pattern, but I always battle with perfection vs. efficiency.  I just reminded myself that any imperfections will get covered up once the sewing starts.



All in all it took me just over an hour and a half to get all nine pieces cut.  That's about all the time I have in the evening so I had to call it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment