Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Pre-Starting...

Last night I had high hopes of starting another sewing project, but pregnancy has slowed me down a bit so I had to settle with just thinking about my next projects.  I've had two diapering accessory ideas for a while, and I had to go to the fabric store anyway to take advantage of a coupon, so it seemed like a good time to stock up on supplies.

The first thing I've wanted to do is a wetbag.  I have a small, blue Bummis wetbag that I use when I go out as well as when I take my son to his grandparents' while I'm at work.  It fits about four diapers which works perfectly for this purpose.  I also have a large, purple (first color my son could say) Planetwise pail liner that holds all my dirty diapers between washes.  I'd like something a little more in the middle for two reasons.  First, the majority of my weekday diaper changes are at bath time.  I'd like to have a wetbag hanging somewhere in the bathroom so I don't have to carry the dirty diapers to the pail every single day.  Also, when the infant arrives, she'll be going through a lot more diapers than four, so I could use a wetbag by the changing table that has a larger capacity as well.  I found a couple pattern ideas, but the concept is the same.  You need a PUL fabric for the inside lining, and a decorative fabric for the outside.  I found a remnant, which meant it was 50% off, and the PUL was on sale too, score!  Then I got a black zipper to keep the bag closed.  This will be my first zipper, so that part should get exciting!  


The second project I've wanted to try is cloth diaper wipes.  People think I'm crazy enough for cloth diapering, but using cloth wipes takes this one step further I'm sure.  Actually, my husband completely disagrees with the idea.  But, I figure I'll be home full time soon and I'll be doing 80-90% of the diaper changes, so if I want to use cloth wipes that's my prerogative!  Anyway...  At first I was looking to buy wipes from some of my favorite diaper companies.  But then it hit me, why not sew some myself?  A lot of cloth wipe advocates just use flannel receiving blankets that they cut up and sewed the edges.  Some just use well used baby wash clothes.  If I do decide to go this route, I want my wipes to at least be attractive.  Cuteness keeps diapering fun, so I'm sure the same goes for wipes.  A few pattern ideas I came across either used a double layer of flannel, or else flannel lined with another material, like cotton jersey.  Another idea is to use terry cloth.  For my first round I bought a couple patterns of flannel and some white knit jersey type fabric.  I'll make a couple different combos and see how it goes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment