Search This Blog

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sewing and Stuffing (Steggie Stage 2)...

Back to my pull-dino project.  I received word that one of the walkers this toy is intended for is indeed taking his first steps, so the rush is on.  Even bigger deal than that is I found it to be pretty uncomfortable sewing last night with a belly full of baby.  The discomfort would have been tolerable had I not gotten so frustrated with some if the steps of the pattern.  I got through it, 99% anyway, so here's where I ended it last night.

Sewing the body together was pretty straight forward.  My machine (which will require it's own post in the near future) had a little struggle top stitching the felt spikes, but once those were done assembly went smoothly.  Even sewing the underbelly on wasn't that bad.  When I got to the part of sewing the felt feet on, that was sort of another story.  The feet are just about an inch and a half diameter circles.  With an inch of velcro sewn on.  I did not use the right technique to fix the circles to the legs I'm sure, but somehow it worked.  Then when I went to turn
the dino right side out, I noticed that a small space under the neck as well as under the tail weren't properly sealed.  There is something about how the underbelly joins the main body at this point that creates a weakness.  I must have turned that dino inside out and and right side out three or four times before I finally felt it was secure and didn't look like a jumbled mess.  That's why I give my self a 99% for completion because I might still mess with it a little.  I have to mention my favorite tool for turning things inside out like this is a grabber thingy I found in my husband's tool collection.  It helps you push out points and such when it's hard to reach.

By this point it's after 11 at night and I refuse to give up until I can get some stuffing in this little beast.  I didn't struggle this much to not stuff any fluff.  At least that felt a bit therapeutic.  The only other issue I noticed is that now when the feet are right side out, the velcro takes up more of the surface area of the foot than it shows in the picture.  I'm not sure whether this bothers me yet or not, I was too tired to care.

Now he still needs button eyes and his tail sewn shut (the space where all the turning inside out was done from), but that shouldn't take me long.  Do you think my Steggie looks at all like the one in the picture?  His legs look a little short to me...

No comments:

Post a Comment