Search This Blog

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Wet Bag Sewing...

I started and finished a project in one sitting!  I did watch videos and read instructions for a few days prior, but when it came down to actually assembling the wet bag it went really fast.  That did not mean that this project was without challenges though.

I had never sewn a zipper on anything in my life.  There's a zipper at the top of the bag.  I suppose there is a proper foot to put on a sewing machine to add the zipper, but I don't have one.  I watched a couple videos, pinned the PUL fabric, outside fabric, and zipper together and got started.  I guess this is where frustration #1 comes in.  PUL fabric is pretty uncooperative.  It stretches and slips around on fabric.  Then if it's the bottom layer, it sort of sticks to the sewing machine table as you're trying to feed it through the machine.  This caused puckers where I forced folds of PUL through the machine to keep things lined up, both with the zipper and also when sewing the sides together.  I tried to fix the sticking problem by putting a paper towel underneath the bag as I was sewing, and this helped a little.

I was so excited to assemble the zipper and the bag that I forgot how I wanted to add a strap for hanging the bag.  If I wanted to attach the strap discretely I should have tucked it in behind the zipper so the edges were hidden in the layers.  This was a total afterthought, so I added the strap to the outside.  It still functions well though.


All in all this project took me about two hours and I put my first dirty diaper in the bag at this evening's bath time.  That was my real reason for wanting this bag.  Every night I take off a wet diaper and I walk it to the laundry room.  The convenience of letting a few diapers build up on the back of the door just saves me a trip when soon, this trip will be more of a challenge.  And that also sort of has me excited about bathing two kids in the tub at the same time.  That moment is right around the corner!

No comments:

Post a Comment